Boost logo

Threads-Devel :

From: Anthony Williams (anthony_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-11 06:38:25

Quoting Stefan Küppers <kueppers_web_at_[hidden]>:

> why Boost-Threads try to reinvent the wheel ?
>
> There are already a lot of very good object-oriented C++-Thread-Libs:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/zthread/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/jthread/

There are other thread libraries available, it is true, but I've not
heard of either of those before. Boost.thread is not exactly new
either --- it's been around since 2001, so it's not reinventing the
wheel.

If you don't want to use boost threads, no-one will force you.
However, the interface is very close (and getting closer) to what will
be part of the standard library with C++0x (see
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2008/n2497.html for
the latest thread paper).

The thread libraries you listed have different interfaces. If you
prefer them, use them. If you think there is a particular feature they
support which boost.thread is lacking, post here, and preferably post
some code we can include.

Anthony

--
Anthony Williams            | Just Software Solutions Ltd
Custom Software Development | http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk