Boost logo

Threads-Devel :

From: Anthony Williams (anthony_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-11 13:36:30

Quoting Frank Mori Hess <frank.hess_at_[hidden]>:

> On Tuesday 11 March 2008 04:56 am, Anthony Williams wrote:
>> I'm also working on a promise/future/packaged_task set to
>> match a paper that will be in the next C++ standards mailing.
>
> Is the paper available anywhere now?

No, it's not finished yet. Detlef posted a draft on the WG21 wiki, but
it's password protected. The paper is strongly based on N2276
(http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2276.html),
but has promise and packaged_task return a unique_future (like
unique_ptr), which can be moved into a shared_future if required.
unique_future allows the result to be moved out (rather than copied),
but shared_future doesn't. Also, all the thread pool and thread
launching stuff has been stripped, as that's destined for TR2, whereas
promise/unique_future/shared_future/packaged_task might make it into
C++0x.

Anthony

--
Anthony Williams            | Just Software Solutions Ltd
Custom Software Development | http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk