Boost logo

Threads-Devel :

Subject: [Threads-devel] C0x11 threading capabilities
From: Erotavlas_turbo_at_[hidden]
Date: 2011-11-25 04:10:21

Hi,

I have some question about the threading programming capabilities of boost
library.
First question: I have read that the new C++ standard C0x11 has a support for
threading programming. At the moment the support is only to core level and the
library will be released soon. I have read some times ago, that with high
probability the threading library of the C0x11 should be the same of boost
library? If it is true, can I use the boost thread library and in the future,
when the C++ standard will be completed, could I transparently switching to
it?
Second question: this question is strictly related to the first one. At the
moment GCC supports only a small subset of threading programming features http:
//wiki.apache.org/stdcxx/C++0xCompilerSupport. So using thread boost library
allows me to use the full features of future C++ standard library?
Last question: what about the OpenMP directives? How they are different in
terms power and flexibility for the parallel programming task respect to the
boost library?

Thank you

Best Regards