Boost logo

Ublas :

From: Peter Schmitteckert (peter_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-13 11:38:03

Dear Karl,

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Karl Meerbergen wrote:

> Consulting a book about numerics, you would see that the determinant is
> not a good measure of singularity. It is better to compute the condition
> number. There are estimators in LAPACK, functions xTRCON(). But no
> bindings are provided for these estimators, I think.

Allthough it's slightly off-topic, isn't the determinat a precise measure
for singularity? One just has to be careful that the
singularity has nothing to do with convergence rate in usual iterative
methods, where the condition number || A || ||A^{-1} || provides
a better measure? Or have I messed up namings?

Best wishes,
Peter

Dr. Peter Schmitteckert
TKM / CFN University of Karlsruhe