Boost logo

Ublas :

From: Toon Knapen (toon.knapen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-18 10:33:14

Michael Stevens wrote:
> Hi Toon,
>
> On Thursday 10 March 2005 13:13, Toon Knapen wrote:
>
>>In the constructor of matrix_range for instance, the precondition checks
>>are commented out. Now there is no error generated when you create a
>>matrix_range that is bigger than the matrix is defined on. Anybody an
>>idea why these precondition checks are commented out?
>

> The early precondition checks can now be removed. The commenting out with
> // Early checking of preconditions here.
> were part of the process to deprecate them.

I was not aware that you were changing to just-in-time checking. This
approach indeed provides a lot of advantages.

> I think at this stage the comments and code could be completely removed.

I will take care of that if you want.

> The
> documentation correctly describes the current behaviour.

Since you mention the doc, I checked but I did not see any specific
explanation that the validity of the proxy is verified _only_ when the
indexing is used.

The documentation mentions that 'if the specified ranges fall outside of
the index range of the matrix than the matrix_range is not well formed'
but this might be interpreted that the range _never_ can fall outside of
the index range. With this new mechanism they only _need_ to fall
_inside_ when indexing is done. Right? Should'nt we clarify the
documentation for this ?

toon