Boost logo

Ublas :

From: Karl Meerbergen (Karl.Meerbergen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-27 05:43:07

On Thursday 26 May 2005 16:52, Paul C. Leopardi wrote:
> Dear Dan,
> Yes, you can use uBLAS to invert matrices, but this might not be the
> optimal way to do it. You use UBLAS to invert a matrix by doing solves on
> each column of a unit matrix.
> GluCat uses the uBLAS routines, originally because Joerg Walter wrote them
> specially for GluCat, and then because it was the easiest thing to do.
> Best regards

In general computing the inverse of a matrix is a very bad idea. It is very
expensive and numerically less relible than using a backtransformation. For a
sparse matrix, I am sure that SuperLU is a lot more efficient than the ublas
lu.

Have a nice day,

Karl

> On Thu, 26 May 2005 11:53 am, Dan Elliott wrote:
> > Paul C. Leopardi wrote:
> > >Dear Luca,
> > >Reply below. Best regards

> > >Have you tried using uBLAS lu_factorize and lu_substitute, defined in
> > > lu.h ? Do you know how it compares to SuperLU ? Has anyone made this
> > > comparison ? Also, how large are your sparse matrices?
> >
> > Does this mean we can invert uBLAS matrices using uBLAS routines. I was
> > under the impression we had to make use of an external library to solve.
> >
> > thanks.
> >
> > - dan

Look at our unique training program and
Register on-line at http://www.fft.be/?id=35