Boost logo

Ublas :

From: Karl Meerbergen (Karl.Meerbergen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-30 09:11:09

Hi all,

I have a question about norms for complex values.

I have the impression that norm_1 and norm_inf are not correctly
computed for complex vectors.
It looks like norm_1 makes the sum of the absolute values of the real
and imaginary parts, and norm_inf is the maximum of the absolute values
of the real and the imaginary parts.

Most textbooks only talk about real valued vectors. I would expect that
norm_1 is the sum of the moduli of the vector's elements. Norm_inf is
the maximum modulus. One of the definitions of norm is that for any
scalar a and vector v, we have

norm_1(a*v) = |a| * norm_1(v)

What is |a| for a complex value? If it is std::abs(), norm_1 and
norm_inf are definitely not correct.
If |a| = std::abs(a.real())+std::abs(a.imag)), this is not correct
either, I think. Correct me if I am wrong.

Karl