Boost logo

Ublas :

From: Shawn D. Pautz (sdpautz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-20 09:31:31

Michael,

Is there an error in the return type you provide in the first code
snippet below? I don't believe matrix_expression has a value_type. I
assume that one either uses E::value_type, or as you show in the second
code snippet to provide a separate struct that encapsulates the return type.

More generally, it appears that deducing the return type is tricky even
for scalars in the general case. Is the "accepted uBLAS way" to write
these functions with a general return type in order to encapsulate them
in an expression? In other words if I give a simple value_type it will
work, but not necessarily give as efficient an expression?

Thanks for the code examples.

Shawn

Michael Stevens wrote:

>uBLAS has a much better way to write this kind of function. You should use...
> template <class E>
> typename matrix_expression<E>::value_type determinant (const matrix_expression<E>& A)
> {

.
.
.