Boost logo

Ublas :

From: Karl Meerbergen (karl.meerbergen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-12-23 03:47:07

Alternatively, you can use the SVD (gesvd binding). This decomposes
the m x n matrix A matrix into
A = U S V^* where S is a diagonal m x n matrix, U is m x m unitary and
V is n x n unitary.
The diagonal elements of S are the singular values, in descending order.
If there are k nonzero singular values, you can write A as
A = U(:,1:k) * S(1:k,1:k) * V(:,1:k)^*

Solving A x = b in a least squares fashion is then done as
x = V(:,1:k) * inv(S(1:k,1:k)) * ( U(:1,k)^* * b )

More expensive than QR but more reliable.

Best,

Karl