Boost logo

Ublas :

From: Karl Meerbergen (karl.meerbergen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-06 12:17:27

Jens,

It is not my intention to give a course on numerical linear algebra. You
cannot make strong statements about which method is best, since their
performance is problem dependent.

For many problems, for sure 2D but even 3D discretizations of
differential equations leading to positive definite or unsymmetric
problems, direct methods perform very well for up to 100,000 unknowns or
even larger. If I recall well from a previous e-mail there would only be
10 non-zeros per row. This is very few. So, I do not see a problem for
using a direct method. It is always good to try direct methods first,
since you do not know whether an iterative method will work, even if the
matrix is positive definite.

O(n) complexity is usually only attained by multigrid methods. So, CG is
useless in this respect, even with IC preconditioning.

Best,

Karl

Also your statement on ILU is strange