Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] Is there a special reason to use inline before template functions?
From: Gunter Winkler (guwi17_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-08 04:10:09

Am Montag, 8. Dezember 2008 00:48 schrieb Thomas Klimpel:

> Most libs only prepend inline before template functions, but ublas
> prepends nearly every member function with the macro
> "BOOST_UBLAS_INLINE", which expands to "inline". Is there a reason
> why ublas uses this macro?

I think this is only used for historical reasons because it existed
since I started to use ublas. At this time it mad a big difference to
compilers when inline was given. Maybe this is now obsolete - however
it should not hurt.

Do you have any concerns that too many "inlines" might reduce
performance? If you identify such methods then we can simply remove the
inline qualifier.

mfg
Gunter