Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] Modified incomplete cholesky factorization (no fill ins)
From: AQMS (azqalidd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-27 09:47:00

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the suggestion on the paper. I will definitely give it a try and will let you know if it works out.

However, at the moment I am still interested in the MIC(0) factorization method.

This is because, there is a property of MIC(0), in which the row sums of A (from Ax = b) and M (the preconditioner matrix) is the same.

I have somehow managed to force my preconditioner matrix, M = L*transpose(L), where L is a lower triangular matrix which is the result of incomplete cholesky level zero factorization, to have the same rowsums as A.

I then used this new version of preconditioner matrix, M_new, along with a direct solver for zk = M_new\rk at every iteration of the conjugate gradient just to verify whether it will reduce the number of iterations.

And, it does successfully reduce the number of iterations.
The only thing is, I cant use M_new (the new "forced" preconditioner) directly, since, this will be rather expensive. Rather, I need M_new as a product of L_new and the transpose of L_new. In which I will only be dealing with triangular matrices - and use a trivial forward and backward substitution to solve zk = M_new\rk .

And to do this, I still need to know how to obtain the factorization result from MIC(0).

Note that I find this problem rather interesting since I actually dont have a formal background in iterative solving method - and I found it rather challenging.

However, I have reached a stage where I am nearing the solution and yet faced with a very final hurdle in finding an efficient way of solving a very large sparse linear system.

Thanks,
Aznul