Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] Thread on boost devel list
From: Jesse Perla (jesseperla_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-17 17:31:16

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Rutger ter Borg <rutger_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Jesse Perla wrote:
>
> .. and it would be nice if operator* could be made a call to e.g. gemv (I
> still want to check out the performance of CUDA).
>
> My time for being able to work on the bindings have been a bit low the past
> couple of months, I hope to be able to pick up where we left soon.

Very good idea. I find that people frequently want to have 2 rules for *,
etc. depending on the matrix size. Perhaps this could be a compile time
option in ublas? You set a minimum size threshold (#define
UBLAS_LAPACK_THRESHOLD 200), and then a preprocessor instructions could say
which implementation to use for the large matrices? Those implementations
could be based on the bindings... Alternatively, this could be added into a
policy inside of the matrix class itself, which would be more elegant, but
tougher to write and could cause all sorts of regressions.

-Jesse