Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] Slow (seeming) sparse matrix multiplication? (James Davidson)
From: Jörn Ungermann (j.ungermann_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-30 07:30:13

Hello James,

we had the same problem. You might want to have a look at the
"axpy_prod" and "sparse_prod" functions, which offer specialized
implementations for sparse matrices. However, we found all sparse matrix
products severely lacking and finally implemented the sparse matrix
multiplications we needed ourselves (which are mostly several orders of
magnitude faster than the best ublas routine). Sadly, we could not spend
the effort to do a implementation general enough and worthy to be
included into ublas.

But if you need something along the lines of compressed_matrix *
compressed_matrix -> matrix, send me an email and I can send you our
code. We have not implemented all products with respect to combinations
of transposedness/row-column-majority, but the missing ones could be
easily added given the existing implementations. As the product of two
sparse matrices is seldom sparse itself (and certainly not in our
use-case) we have not thought about a compressed_matrix as target, which
certainly requires a special order in which the resulting matrix is to
filled.

Kind regards,
Joern Ungermann

--