Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] How to solve systems of linear equations?
From: Jesse Perla (jesseperla_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-11 15:14:44

Rutger ter Borg <rutger <at> terborg.net> writes:
> I'm not defending ublas here, but as always, I am willing to shout something

I was under the impression that most of the newer libraries took advantage
of vectorization for small, fixed size matrices through some mechanism, but
I usually don't know what I am talking about. ublas is a great, stable,library
and deserves a defense, even if its eventual deprecation is considered.

> If GPU-only is not fancy enough for you, throw in a hybrid CPU+GPU LAPACK-
> compatible http://icl.cs.utk.edu/magma/index.html implementation to saturate
> both CPU(s) and GPU(s).

When will you have magma bindings for us :-)

> Clearly, I have a bias, but I'd say the bindings are the way to go . Oh,
> and this would also me making the point that we need GPU-memory STL-
> compatible allocators and make sure they work with uBLAS (Gunter? )

I share the bias for linear algebra, but you still need to have a good matrix
library for basic operations (multiplication, slices, etc.) that is highly
expressive... so the container does matter a lot.