Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] cublas bindings
From: Andrey Asadchev (asadchev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-20 11:45:44

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 1:54 AM, Rutger ter Borg <rutger_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Andrey Asadchev wrote:
>
> > thank you
> >
> > I was not aware off existing bindings.
> > I will definitely take a look at them.
> > I am trying to make implementation little bit more like expressions,
> > rather than fortran counterpart:
> >
> > Here is an example:
> >
> > cublas::matrix<double> A;
> > cublas::matrix<double> B;
> > B = cublas::matrix<double>(5,5);
> > A = B; // device to device copy
> >
> > ublas::matrix<double> h(cublas::host(B)); // device to host copy
> > ublas::matrix<double, ublas::column_major> f;
> > cublas::host(f) = A; // device to host copy
> >
> > cublas::matrix<double> C = cublas::gemm(A, B);
> > B += cublas::gemm(A, C);
> > cublas::gemm(3.0, B, C, 6.0, A); // fortran style dgemm
>

> We have chosen to put expression syntax and handling of that in the hands
> of
> higher level libraries, e.g., MTL, GLAS, etc.. In turn, some of these
> libraries have chosen to use the bindings for their BLAS/LAPACK access.
>
> One of the things I would like to achieve with the bindings, are programs
> that can be recompiled against (a mixture of) different backends, hybrid
> and/or GPU-backends included. Then, it would be nice if users are able to
> write code as if a GPU is present, but, if the CPU-only compilation option
> is chosen, all host/device copying is ignored.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rutger

 Hello Rutger

I think my requirements were a little bit different, as I need explicit GPU
"semantics" (there is some domain cuda code).
In any case, this is learning experience for me.

I am going to continue working on this approach (I really need it).
Once I make some progress, and if quality is okay, would you be willing to
integrate my bindings somehow?

Thank you