Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] question about a binding of ublas
From: Rutger ter Borg (rutger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-04 03:37:12

On 11/03/2010 05:52 PM, Kaveh Kohan wrote:

> I thought that one design could be to provide functionalities of BLAS
> through uBlas but only by turning ON/OFF a compiler flag. Let me explain
> what I mean by an example: we have a command like prod in uBlas which is
> a uBlas implementation of matrix-matrix product but if one wants to use
> BLAS, she has to use gemm command. Why didn't you design it such that
> prod does both of them and a compiler flag can decide whic h
> implementation (uBlas or BLAS) to be compiled? Again, I am sorry if it
> is such naive question, I am newbie to boost.

Dear Kayhan,

the two (uBLAS and numeric bindings) are separate projects with
different goals. Having said that, the bindings are designed to work
with different algorithmic backends (ATLAS, MKL, ACML, netlib-compatible
BLAS, etc.). An uBLAS-native blas-backend just isn't
implemented/supported yet.

Cheers,

Rutger