Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] State of numeric::bindings
From: Rutger ter Borg (rutger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-16 09:32:29

On 2011-11-16 15:12, Andrea Sansottera wrote:
> Dear developers and users of BOOST,
> for one of my projects, I wrote a class hierarchy for matrices and
> vectors (based on the CRTP) and some BLAS/LAPACK wrapper routines.
> However, it only makes sense to replace this code with uBLAS and
> numeric_bindings. While uBLAS looks a mature and quite widely adopted
> library, the uncertainty about numeric_bindings has hold me back from
> adopting this solution. Hence, I would like to ask you what is the
> current state of numeric_bindings, i.e. who are the maintainers, what
> are the known bugs/limitation, whether the inclusion in BOOST is planned
> and what are the next steps in the development of this library (one of
> them is certainly the documentation). If I have the time, I can probably
> give a little help.
>
> Regards,
> Andrea

Hello Andrea,

thanks for your message. The numeric_bindings have undergone an update
since version 1. The numeric bindings ("v2") have been completely
rewritten so that its code is generated on the basis of the Fortran
code. The result is an almost complete coverage of LAPACK functions. The
traits system has been made more versatile. It's located in Boost's
sandbox subversion repository at

http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings/

The current "active" maintainers are Thomas Klimpel and I. I consider
the bindings code itself stable. We are after inclusion in Boost, the
only thing I consider lacking is documentation. We've put some effort in
auto-generating documentation for each and every LAPACK/BLAS function, see

http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings/libs/numeric/bindings/doc/html/index.html

and documentation of e.g. UMFPACK is still lacking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Rutger