Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] Matrix with vector interface.
From: Gunter Winkler (guwi17_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-09-18 15:15:59

Am Tuesday 18 September 2012 schrieb Joaquim Duran:

> I'm developing classes to represent signals (think in DSP, AD
> conversor,...) and implement operations to filter data, down-sampling
> and related operations. Currently all classes are implemented based
> on bounded_vector (to represent a signal or a sample of a set of
> signals) and bounded_matrix (to represent a set of signals with the
> same number of samples for each signal). The advantage of bounded
> containers is that the resize operations (add or remove signals or
> samples) don't generate new delete/operations.

in this case I'd suggest to have a look at MTL4
http://www.simunova.com/en/node/24 . They provide a more general (and
sometimes more abstract) interface to matrices. And (unfortunately) they
have better performance with many operations ...

Regarding uBlas: Long time ago there was a design decision to not handle
a matrix as a set of vectors in order to avoid bad surprises when
playing with the storage layout and iteration order. However, I'd gladly
accept a new matrix view as list of vectors using boost:range .

(Though I still believe that a few copies to/from a suitable data
structure might get better performance than a complicated proxy of a
full matrix ...)

mfg
Gunter