Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] GSOC mentor summit CFP
From: Karl Rupp (rupp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-28 11:30:49

Hi David,

> did you attend the summit already ?

yes, I was at the mentor summit two years ago. Since then we (CSE at TU
Wien) have a round-robin model for our mentors.

> That would be great if you can share > your experience, how it was, etc...
>
> Indeed as you can see, I'm not used to this format but rather to the
> "standard academic" format.

It is indeed quite different ;-)
Rather than having any fixed schedule upfront, in the very first session
everybody is invited to suggest session titles for ~1 hour sessions
each. Unless the title is too narrow, the proposed session is then
posted on a session board where everybody can then declare interest in
the topic. This is then used as a basis for assigning rooms to each
session. Some of the session titles I remember was "Open Science", "How
to revive a dead project" (suggested by a LibreOffice developer :-D ),
or even things like "Growing your Community" and "Open Source Gaming".

As you can see, these topics are all of broader interest rather than too
project-specific. "How to improve Boost" might work because Boost is
well known in the C++ community, but don't expect a large number of C++
gurus there (instead, propose it for C++Now 2014 :-)).

You'll see quite some discussion on the GSoC mailinglist closer to the
event anyway, so you'll know what to expect. It's all pretty relaxed :-)

Best regards,
Karli