Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] Status of development /Benchmarks
From: David Bellot (david.bellot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-29 06:40:53

Hi,

the latest version is indeed on github. We didn't commit many things this
year so far. We are talking (slowly, I must admit, please blame me not the
others) about new features and changes:

(1) integrating GSOC 2013 in the main branch
(2) removing the vector object to replace it by a new one that will be a
matrix and therefore implement a real row of column vector
(3) Matrix multiplication with operator* valid for all standard operation
(vector, matrix, etc...). It is related to (2)
(4) Algorithms infrastructure (so that we can have real useful features)
(5) Matrix/vector views for interoperability <- I think this is ultra
critical because now ublas is monolithic in the sense that you have to use
it everywhere you manipulate data. This would really help into letting
people for example have a list of vectors (they are plotting) and ublas
working on top of that to do for example transformations
(6) NEW DOCUMENTATION - examples and the rest. The current one is ... old
(7) Incorporate some critical bindings (i.e. mumps bindings which is
currently probably the most efficient smp and distributed open source
linalg solver)
(8) Matlab binding? Matlab I/O etc... Well same thing with R, csv files,
etc... Bindings and I/O in general are pretty poor
(9) Distributed ublas (GSOC'13)

I'm really interested seeing your benchmark. Maybe you can join the github
ublas project as well. If you give me your github id I can associate it
with the project and you can push your code. Practically speaking, there is
a ublas project on github which is a copy a the main boostorg/ublas
project. And there are many branches for each project that people can use.

Links you can be interested in:
https://github.com/uBLAS/ublas/wiki

The workflow that we will follow (as also suggested in boost mailing list)
is: http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/
with the difference that we have two "masters" i.e. one in ublas_develop
(which is our working master) and one that will be always in sync with the
latest boost release.

And last but not least, there are a few changes for supporting IDE. In
fact, that would be good if people can contribute more. I'm a vi user only,
so I need others' skills for that. QTCreator is on its way. Ideally, if we
can have some sort of support for the main IDE, on top of my mind: Eclipse,
Netbeans, Visual Studio, Anjuta, KDevelop, etc...

Best regards,
David