Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] Matrix multiplication performance
From: Karl Meerbergen (karl.meerbergen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-01-24 09:34:08

For academic research this is not an issue, but it is an issue where a little performance loss plays a role. I know one person who complained about Eigen for that reason: it was hard to get performance back of old code that used tuned BLAS libraries.

Living with headers only is a tough limitation. The idea that someone wil rewrite all available software to headers only does not make sense. It would imply rewriting many good libraries such as LAPACK, SLATEC, MUMPS, UMFPACK, QUADPACK, PARDISO, ARPACK, etc. If you want to solve a dense linear system, just use LAPACK. Most machines have compiled lapack and blas anyway.

We need both native implementations and bindings. Native implementations are nice to try out a concept, bindings are needed for specific functionalities, sometimes for performance. And, with a good build system, once the software packages are set up, linking is pretty straightforward.

Best,

Karl