Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: [ublas] ublas+multiprecision+lapack
From: Carsten Burgard (cburgard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-06-11 05:55:31

Hi everyone!

I've been using the UBLAS matrix library for about a year now, mostly
for very simple operations (matrix inversion, condition number). Due to
very special requirements, we're using the types from boost
multiprecision to achieve higher precision numerics, which works perfectly.

Now, we're trying to go one step further and also calculate some
eigenvectors (and eigenvalues). As far as I understand, UBLAS does not
natively implement any numerics algorithms for these types of
operations, but instead relies on bindings to existing matrix libraries
like LAPACK.

However, it's not clear to me whether this will still work when
templated to multiprecision types. So far, I've been unable to come up
with a way to make it work (see, e.g., here.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/37705633/boost-multiprecision-numeric-bindings-lapack).

Is there some way to make it work, possibly an example showing how it
can be done floating around somewhere on the web? Is there some special
backend that needs to be used instead of standard LAPACK? Or is this
whole endeavour just futile?

Regards,

Carsten