From: Nathan Myers (ncm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-05-16 23:10:03

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 07:39:03PM -0400, Beman Dawes wrote:
> Nathan, I am trying to find out more about SourceForge so I can reply
> to your message but their *&^%$#@! https server has been hassling me.

What problem are you having with it? I'll give it a try myself.

> What I have seen so far is certainly interesting, although I do
> cringe a bit when I read things like "OpenSource projects tend to
> usually be *NIX (any flavour of UNIX Linux, FreeBSD, etc.) based..."
> followed by a harrowing (edit your autoexec.bat file, etc.) set of
> instructions for how to make SourceForge access work on Windows.

It _is_ true that most of the projects on the site are Unix-based,
for reasons both practical and cultural. They mention it just
because there are many fewer Windows project on it, so the skids
are a little less greased for you.

I read the instructions and they seemed to me far less harrowing
than (e.g.) turning off the dancing paperclip and automatic
spelling correction in MSWord. The "Win32/CVS/SSH Guide"
did seem easier to follow than the equivalent "Howto".

> Anyhow, as soon as I hear from them on how to login, I'll try to
> respond more seriously. Maybe put up a test project and/or mailing
> list to experiment with.

Please give me the details too. It's probably something simple.

Nathan Myers
ncm at cantrip dot org