From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-06 11:34:10

At 02:58 PM 12/4/2000 -0800, Gary Powell wrote:
>> Ed Brey wrote:
>> > 4. There was previous discussion regarding a nested namespace for
>> integer
>> > types; however, that didn't seem to make it into the latest version
of
>> > cstdint.hpp. I'd propose the following addition to provide the
nested
>> > namespace to those who use it without causing any effect on those who
>> don't.
>> > Before the close of the boost namespace, include:
>> >
>> > namespace integer {
>> > using int8_t; using int_least8_t; using int_fast8_t; using
>uint8_t;
>> > using uint_least8_t; using uint_fast8_t;
>> > // ... and so on for 16, 32, and 64 bit, intmax_t, and intmin_t.
>> > }
>>
>> Before going ahead, I would like to have some more opinions on this.
>
>Ok, I'd rather break user code and move these types into a nested
>namespace.

Wait a minute! For the cast library, we just got finished moving the names
out of a nested namespace because of (1) added complexity with little
apparent benefit, and (2) some compilers still having nested namespace
problems.

The lumpers and the splitters have to get together on this and come up with
a boost policy that we can apply evenly to all libraries.

--Beman