From: Greg Colvin (gcolvin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-27 00:59:02

> I've uploaded a new version of my policy based vector and smart pointer
> templates to the Files area (policy_based.tgz). This fixes a few bugs I
> found in the original version, and adds a new vector construction
> function that allows vectors to be initialised with an explicit list of
> values.
>
> Is anyone still interested in this? Several people expressed an interest
> when I originally mentioned the idea, but nobody commented on the first
> version I posted (not even to point out that it was broken :-) ).

I'm very interested long term, and very busy short term.
But I did just read your .txt and .h files, thanks.

For the next few months I mainly care about getting to new
versions of scoped_ptr and shared_ptr, and am not convinced
a policy based approach is the way to go yet for boost.

My main objection is that policy constants are a good way
for a library to compress a large number of related by
different templates into a single template, but I can't see
how to let a user expand the set of constants, so there is
a high premium on getting such a complete set of policies
that no extension is needed. And that will take a lot of
work. But perhaps I misunderstand policies.