From: Paul A. Bristow (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-01 13:05:17

Ed has got to the nub of the problem with the fancy template magic I fear.

In essence is seems that compilers want the constructor
in strict mode, but that defining the constructor leads to linker and/or
code bloat.

Does this put the damper on using templates like forever?
Is this really the C++ language, or are the compilers wrong?

Views please (informed prefered!)

If this is the case, I suggest we go back to a simple

const long double pi = 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197L;

format, at least for a first release.

I can also produce files with

const double pi = 3.14159265358979;

and const float pi = 3.141593F;

and I believe these may be useful to some,
despite the risk of confusion from multiple includes.

Paul

Dr Paul A Bristow, hetp Chromatography
Prizet Farmhouse
Kendal, Cumbria