From: joncaves (joncaves_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-27 21:37:23

--- In boost_at_y..., Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_a...> wrote:
> At 09:56 AM 1/25/2002, Stewart, Robert wrote:
>
> >My point was that an application trafficking only in 8.3 names --
could
> >there still be any?
>
> Even the most modern operating systems may still support some
filesystems
> that traffic only in 8.3 names. For example, isn't the ISO-9660
CD
> filesystem 8.3?
>
> --Beman

Yes: also if our experiences are anything to go by there are still
some PC users who "refuse" to let go of 8.3. Actually that is
slightly unfair - there is still a surprising amount of Windows 3.1
and even DOS software being written. Of course it is very unlikely
any of these developers will be using any Boost libraries.

But if this functionality is not provided then I guarantee someone
will ask for it.

JonCaves