From: Ruslan Zasukhin (sunshine_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-06 04:00:32

on 2/6/02 5:29, Jeff Garland at jeff_at_[hidden] wrote:

>> The C++ committee's LWG has been discussing headers recently. I think that
>> Bjarne was the most recent person to complain about the stl headers. There
>> is some discussion about providing a single <stl> to deal with that. There
>> is also discussion of a <std> header which includes all the C and C++
>> standard headers.

>> It really depends on the system you are using. On some systems, I/O times
>> dominate, and the cost of opens is particularly high.
>
> Yes, but be careful. One 'combined header' might cause you to recompile and
> link hundreds of files and dozens of libraries when only a few would have been
> required with split headers. So I think you need to consider the whole
> compilation impact.

Why not be flexible:

1) provide good split headers for lovers of hand optimization
2) provide combiners: <stl>, <std>.

In school teacher can just tell, use <stl> for now.
Or we can use them in some fast draft test projects.

Experts in release big projects will be able tune as they want.

All happy.

--
Best regards,
Ruslan Zasukhin