From: Fernando Cacciola (fcacciola_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-07 12:33:45

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2002 1:02 PM
Subject: Re: [boost] bind placeholders/tuples ignore and BCB pch

> From: "Fernando Cacciola" <fcacciola_at_[hidden]>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just ugraded to boost 1.27.0... (I use boost heavily at production
code
> so
> > I need to upgrade carefully)
> >
> > As I reported before, Borland cannot create a precompiled headers if
> static
> > data is contained in the header to precompile.
> >
> > There are at least two boost libraries which declares static data:
tuples
> > and bind.
> >
> > I noticed that these "problems" remain in release 1.27.0.
> >
> > I also noticed that the bind placeholders have changed in the new
version,
> > but the change doesn't solve the Borland problem.
>
> The solution I had in mind for the Borland precompiled header problem is:
>
> * #define BOOST_BIND_NO_PLACEHOLDERS;
> * boost/bind.hpp can now go into the precompiled header;
> * after the #pragma hdrstop, #include <boost/bind/placeholders.hpp>.
>
> Does it work in your case?

Almost...

This allows me to include the 'library' in a pch, but since it doesn't allow
me to include the placeholders in a pch, it prevents inline fucntions which
would use bind to be in a pch too.
For me this is a real problem. The most useful thing about bind is that it
helps writting inline code, which high-level users typically put in
precompiled headers.

> I'll update the documentation for the next
> release.

Anyway, the fact that the placeholders can be included externally should be
documented.

Fernando Cacciola
Sierra s.r.l.
fcacciola_at_[hidden]