From: vesa_karvonen (vesa_karvonen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-07 12:59:40

--- In boost_at_y..., "Yitzhak Sapir" <ysapir_at_y...> wrote:
> After having experimented a little with the preprocessor library, I
> was wondering if boost::bind could be implemented in terms of the
> preprocessor library to allow for up to N arguments, defaulting to
> 9. Not that I need anything beyond 3 argument or 4 argument
> functions, but it seems like it'd be a perfect example of its use
> (even if a rather hard one to implement, given bind's current
> complexity and the complexity of writing things in PP).

It should not be very difficult to implement Boost.Bind using the
preprocessor library.

The problem is the excessively slow preprocessor in the EDG front-end
which is used in quite a few compilers. In practice, it might be
necessary to provide preprocessed headers for EDG users, which can
complicate things quite a bit. Personally I would automate the
generation of the preprocessed headers in some way (shell script or
makefile or both).

I don't know what Peter Dimov has in mind, but it would be
interesting to see Boost.Bind implemented using the preprocessor
library. Unfortunately I currently don't have the extra time
to do it.