From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-10 16:41:19

At 03:02 PM 3/7/2002, Greg Colvin wrote:

>Don't forget that any committee member is free
>to propose any library for standardization,
>independently of whatever Boost does.

Yes, and those proposals will get added to the TR Proposals list along with
the Boost originated proposals.

>I still wonder if it appropriate for Boost, per
>se, to propose libraries, or whether that should
>be left to individuals with the courage and
>committment required to shepard their little
>flock through the valley of the shadow of death.

It is a multi-step process. The first step is a short presentation to the
LWG to see what the level of interested is, and what the concerns are. If
the developers are present, they will do the presentation and answer
questions. Otherwise one of the Boost folks will do it. I try to post
reactions so Boost members know how a library was received.

The second step is actually writing the full detailed proposal, including
proposed text for the TR. Someone, usually the developers, is going to
have to do that themselves. For example, John Maddock has written a really
nice detailed proposal for Type Traits.

Part of the idea behind Boost was to broaden the base of developers
contributing to the C++ standard library. And that includes developers who
cannot attend meetings, for whatever reason. As long as they are willing
to do the work on detailed proposals for their libraries, several Boosters
who attend LWG meetings are willing to act as proxies for purposes of
discussion.

So really the proposals aren't "Boost Proposals." They are proposals from
Boost developers, with other Boost members helping with the procedural
details. This is intended to make proposals from non-committee members
more practical.

--Beman