From: Paul A. Bristow (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-11 09:49:01

Yes - Ralf is absolutely right and is a reason why C++ isn't getting used.

(I think that the original mistake was to give scalars a default value - why
zero? and not to provide a syntax that more strongly encouraged
initialisation.

int x = if (condition) then 1 else 2;)

Andy Keonig's paper only makes it worse when construction is more expensive.

It really is important to solve this somehow, and uninitialized_flag() looks
least worst.

Paul

Dr Paul A Bristow, hetp Chromatography
Prizet Farmhouse