From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-11 19:10:59

----- Original Message -----
From: "danl_miller" <danl_miller_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2002 11:48 AM
Subject: [boost] Re: move to mailman

> --- In boost_at_y..., "David Abrahams" <david.abrahams_at_r...> wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > Someone recently asked if Mailman will provide a web-posting
> interface.
> > The answer is "no, not directly". However, there are any number of
> > places to get a free web-based email account (e.g. HotMail, Yahoo,
> > etc.). You can always do that.
>
> When will access via newsgroups be available?

When someone figures out what we need to do to get it set up and finds
us the resources (if any are required). IU will not host an nntp server
for us, but AFAIK we're not even sure if that's needed. We never really
got to the bottom of the "what's needed to set up a usenet newsgroup"
question.

> Speaking of the multithousand emails per month on the Boost
> developer email list (and the possibility of newsgroups now that we
> are outide of yahoo), I think serious thought should be given to
> decomposing the Boost developer email list into separate categories,
> such as one newsgroup/list per library and one lower-traffic general
> newsgroup/list. Moderators would enforce that postings stay on-topic
> for that category.

I've been reluctant to split things up too much. Valuable
cross-pollination might be lost. Also, suggestions like this one tend to
imply a lot of work, usually for other people. What are you willing to
volunteer for?

-Dave