From: Jason Stewart (res0054p_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-12 08:42:11

Actually, its fairly easy to set up a newsgroup on your own. Replication is
not as necessary as it once was since many people can access multiple mail
servers. For instance the Wise Installer has their own newsgroup and
Borland used to run one (they may still). I have done it for our company here.

Anyone with a Linux box (or other unix) can run innd and have their own
server. Access can be limited if desired to members. Even DHCP would not
necessarily be a problem since there are several companies that provide
Dynamic DNS (see www.tzo.com or www.no-ip.org).

I would consider hosting it here but I'm unsure of the bandwidth
requirements. We currently have DSL and a static IP which may be sufficient
but I'm not sure.

The biggest problem would be cross posting from news to email and
vice-versa. I've never done this part. Personally I'd rather use a
newsgroup instead of email because it is easier to follow threads. However,
I think some people may not be able to access NNTP through corporate firewalls.

Jason