From: bill_kempf (williamkempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-13 16:07:10

--- In boost_at_y..., "danl_miller" <danl_miller_at_b...> wrote:
> --- In boost_at_y..., "bill_kempf" <williamkempf_at_h...> wrote:
> > nearly 10
> someone
> > else
> > > I think a thread pool would want to use LIFO - it would seem
> > reasonable to
> > > expect that the dispatch of making a more recently run thread
> ready
> > would be
> > > faster than a less recently run one (it would be unlikely to be
> > slower in
> > > any case). I can't think of any other reason (off hand) for
> > wanting LIFO. I
> > > must admit that I have never explicitly requested LIFO.
>
> Darryl, this applies if there is some form of penalty regarding
the
> use of the least-recently-used (LRU) unallocated resource in a pool
> and some sort of economy of using the most-recently-used (MRU)
> unallocated resource in a pool.
>
> Regarding this allocation-of-a-thread-from-a-thread-pool topic, I
> can see that one such penalty could arise from the use of virtual
> memory (VM).
>
> In RTOSes and in embedded software and in real-time software, VM
> usually falls somewhere in between thoroughly unacceptable and
frowned
> upon. I agree with a LRU/LIFO approach if in a VM OS where there
is a
> penalty for demand-paging in (portions of) the LRU thread's
> address-space into core RAM.
>
> > LIFO must be applied to the queued jobs, but there need not be a
> LIFO
> > gaurantee on any synchronization primitives to do this. So I
think
> > this is a different topic from what was being discussed.
> >
> > Bill Kempf
>
> Bill, this is where you & I disagree. Semaphore is at its core, a
> mechanism of doling out (i.e., decrement) permission to access a
> resource in a shared fixed-size pool (which must be put back when
> finished: i.e., increment) or to consume/kill (i.e., decrement) a
> disposable member of a population, whose members are dynamically
> manufactured/born (i.e., increment). The debate which killed of
> semaphore treated semaphore only as a list of mechanical
> increment/decrement functionality without discussing this
> pool-allocation and producer/consumer metaphor. The mechanical
> viewpoint says that the semaphore whell can be reinvented upon
demand
> with the use of condition-variables. So be it for the next
paragraph;
> avoid semaphore if that makes common ground for the conversation
> possible.
>
> In real-time software, RTOSes, and embedded software, message-
queue
> falls into the second producer/consumer metaphor of semaphore.
> Certain threads all produce work-requests and all pushes those
> work-requests into a single interthread message-queue. Each thread
> [...]

How do you disagree with anything I said? Nothing in your
description differs from anything I've said, nor does it actually
mention any need for any specific mutex scheduling. In a thread pool
it doesn't matter what thread acquires the mutex, and thus acquires
the "job". All that matters is that *some* thread acquires the mutex
and thus the "job". It doesn't even matter if a thread (or set of
threads) is starved in this case, because the jobs are still being
executed in a timely manner. A thread can remain idle indefinately
and not cause any problems with the operation of the thread pool.

Bill Kempf