From: Moore, Dave (dmoore_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-22 16:32:58

I've attached a file pool_policy.hpp which sketches out a design for a
pool_policy class, and describes how boost::thread_pool might use that
class. I also provided two sample policies:

"min_max_timed_policy", which is a reimplementation of the original,
hardcoded policy in thread_pool.

"limit_backlog_policy", which is a policy which adds threads only if the
backlog of work reaches a certain threshold. This was the only "corner"
case that I personally could come up with that wasn't covered by the basic
min_max_timed policy. It could come in handy when the cost of executing a
work unit is some fraction of the cost of launching a new thread...

The way that thread_pool holds its reference to a policy is probably not
ideal, consider that part for exposition only.

Thanks very much to Gennadiy for his comments and general
pool_management_alg. I think your stuff is quite general and flexible. I
chose to rename your functions because it helped me think about pool
management specifically in this domain (threads). I would imagine that we
would return to your more general terms in the final implementation, since
these ideas apply to pools of objects other than threads.

Dave