From: Gary Powell (powellg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-26 12:58:09

Mat Marcus wrote:

> To recap the things I'd like to see happening:
>
> 3. I hope that someone with the energy and expertise to make LL work
> with vc6 will step up to the task. Unfortunately, it seems unlikely that
> the guy who did that for Phoenix will be all that interested, since he
> surely has a tool which serve his needs at this point.

I offered to help at the 2nd template metaprogramming workshop, but at the
time the authors felt like it would be too much work. There were also some
questions as to whether it would be possible without massive changes. I am
renewing my offer. But I don't have the bandwidth to work on the whole
thing by myself in any reasonable amount of time, so I would need some
collaborators. Also, the task will require some support from Jaako and
Gary. Are you guys interested? If so, would you be interested in
communicating some of the tougher porting problems so we can determine if
there might be workarounds. Perhaps some sample code from the return-type
calculator together with a brief account of any workarounds attempted. BTW,
I'm also interested in a MetroWerks port. Were there major issues, or
didn't you try?
Mat,
  We have always been interested, We have been concerned it wasn't possible
with the current design. My experience porting ET, made me leery of asking
you to do something I was no longer willing to do. After tuples got ported
to MSVC, I'm not so sure about that statement (That it couldn't be done).
And of course we would be glad to cooperate in any way to make the library
work for more users.

  Yours,
 -Gary-