From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-28 09:53:16

Here's another cut at it:

What's the point of testing anything in the filesystem since your test
result can always be invalidated by some other process before you get a
chance to use (or even look at) it?

Or, to put it another way, all tests on the filesystem are imperfectly
reliable. However, even an imperfect test can be useful:

    if (space_remaining_in_fs() < space_required_to_save)
    {
        prompt_to_save_to_different_volume();
    }

This approach nearly always saves the process from writing lots of bytes
and discovering it's out of space somewhere in the middle.

-Dave