From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-28 10:19:24

At 11:01 PM 3/27/2002, Phil Boyd wrote:

>My ISP is willing to create a newsgroup for us within the standard NNTP
>hierarchy already set up. Also we can just use the announce.newsgroup
>process out of Duke Uni. Once we have followed their guidelines, they
will
>create the group for us. AFAIK, noone would have to host it for us (ie -
>whose server hosts comp.lang.c++).

I've been working on the assumption that we want a private newsgroup, not a
public usenet newsgroup.

The rationale is that (1) we want tight control on who and what gets
posted, not just to avoid spam, but also to avoid a lot of other unhelpful
posts, (2) we would be better off to build experience with newsgroups which
we control (and can change quickly at will) before going public (if indeed
we ever want to go public), (3) we want to hold administrative work to a
minimum, (4) a hope that spammers are less likely to harvest email
addresses from a private, controlled membership, newgroup than a public
one.

I don't have any personal experience running a newsgroup, so the above is
based a bit on speculation rather than experience.

Comments?

--Beman