From: Dylan Nicholson (dylan_nicholson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-28 22:17:09

 --- "Stewart, Robert" <stewart_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> From: Dylan Nicholson [mailto:dylan_nicholson_at_[hidden]]
>
> In your own explanation, you show how two different OSes do it differently.
> Other OSes probably have other rules. Some may offer no such pattern
> matching rules. On Unix, the globbing is controlled by the shell, so there
> is no standard other than the de facto standard created by the Bourne Shell
> that most others follow to one degree or another. However, bash augments it
> with {} which can be used to specify something between alternation and sets.
> For example, {abc,pdq,xyz} means substitute each of abc, pdq, and xyz in
> that part of the pattern when looking for matches.

Not true, it is part of the POSIX standard. glob()/fnmatch() also follows the
same rules.
I'm not suggesting we do away with regular expressions but there is some useful
power in the style of pattern matching using by POSIX.
As long as predicate methods are provided, it would be easy enough to write a
predicate that worked based on fnmatch().
I also think that reg. exp. matching should be done through a predicate, if
nothing else to avoid the dependency of the filesystem library the on reg. exp.
library.

Dylan

http://www.sold.com.au - SOLD.com.au Auctions
- 1,000s of Bargains!