From: Rozental, Gennadiy (Gennadiy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-09 13:28:53

> I tried to look at the new Preprocessor Library docs, but all
> I got was Javascript error messages.
Looks good for me, what browser are you using. BTW I like these docs look
and feel.

> I fell strongly we should ban Javascript from Boost web pages and ask
> developers to remove all Javascript immediately.
>
> The practical effect of Javascript in documentation is that
> it can only be
> viewed with certain web browsers, and those pages cannot be reliably
> printed.

I do not believe that is true.

1. Browsers conformance to Javascript standard is good enough in most cases
(it's better then let say C++ compilers conformance to C++ standart).
Especially if you limit to use only Javascript 1.2.
2. Even with Javascript 1.5 it's pretty easy to write "portable" code.
3. Javascript is essential tool manage repetitive tasks. In this since it
is as important as usage of external style sheets.
4. Javascript is essential tool for enhancing docs readability. For example
Preprocessor docs hides bulky example to prevent obscuring reference page
content. Note that MSDN site doing the same.
5. Problems with printing in most cases does not related to Javascript but
to the styling.
6. According to recent info in net ~95-97 present of browsers domain is
covered by ie and clones. Among the developers numbers are different of
course but ie still prevail I think. All others browsers try to keep up with
de facto standard ie. Though I would not want to discuss this point too
much.

Since You did not provide a real reasons for banning javascript, may be we
could consider giving it at least some chances to be usable?
> --Beman

Gennadiy.