From: David Bergman (davidb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-01 17:09:26

Dave,

Did you have such a "patched" version of Synpsis somewhere? I could not
get Synposis to work "out-of-the-box".

I used Doxygen to produce HTML (directly) and PDF (through pdftex)
documentation of the 1.29 version of Boost.Python. It was not a very
interesting document... Doxygen seems to not acknowledge templates as
"compounds", so one basically get a list of the files involved in the
project. Not very useful for Boost, in other words. I used it in
non-template libraries, and with other languages, and it is quite good,
with inlined code, keeping the links.

It is a pitty that the Doxygen group has not put much effort in handling
templates, since Doxygen is a more supported tool than Synopsis. I think
the Boost group has to more or less adopt Synopsis to make it viable as
a documentation generator...

My goal was to use a "tag- and structure-extractor" such as Doxygen or
Synopsis to generate either LaTeX or DocBook, and then merge other
documentation in that format, such as the specification, to in the end
create HTML and PDF output. All this is possible in both Synopsis and
Doxygen as it seems, although one would need to either use the
experimental XML output of Doxygen with some DocBook-generating XSLTs,
and use OpenJade, db2tex+pdftex or FOP to do the DocBook-->PDF and
pdftex to do the LaTeX-->PDF.

/David