From: Daryle Walker (dwalker07_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-02 02:04:44

On Thursday, October 31, 2002, at 1:24 PM, Beman Dawes wrote:

> At 05:18 PM 10/30/2002, Edward Diener wrote:
>
>> Nonetheless, some sort of record of changes from release to release
>> would be
>> most valuable. It would be a great help to those who need to update
>> their
>> own implementations based on Boost's implementations, especially, as
>> in my
>> case, when changes have been made to a Boost implementation for one's
>> own
>> private version and a new release of Boost is issued.
>>
>> Needless to say it would also be a benefit to those who are using a
>> new
>> Boost release and want to understand explicitly what has changed from
>> the
>> previous release and what new functionality has been added and where.
>>
>> I know from my own experience that it is hard for developers to keep
>> track
>> of every specific change as they develop a product, but I see little
>> to no
>> indication of changes made between releases of Boost in its various
>> libraries, and find this lack of information disconcerting and
>> unproductive
>> to Boost usage.
>
> Perhaps developers should be encouraged to add a change list to their
> documentation, listing changes between releases which might be of
> interest
> to users. For consistency, call it changes.html and put it in the
> library's
> documentation directory. With a link from the main docs page.

Can we use automation to help us? We could use CVS to print all the
changes to every file (as well as file adds and removals) in commit
order and use that as a template to remind developers for the change
notes.

Anyway, I probably wouldn't remember all the changes I've done and you
would have to do something like this to remind us.

Daryle