From: Dan Nuffer (dnuffer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-04 12:35:01

Jeff Garland wrote:
>>But I need to determine what exactly needs to be backed up. I assume
>>the website doesn't need it because it's all in CVS, right?
>

> I guess the question is do you trust sourceforge to back up stuff?
> I've been burned by unrestoreable 'admin' backups that I just
> don't trust it. Of course there are probably 10's to hundreds of
> local copies of very recent versions of the repository on peoples
> local machines if there backup system fails.

Sourceforge doeesn't back up anything. They make it easy to back up the
cvs repository by making a tarball of it available for download. But
they don't store it for more than a day. That's why it's necessary to
download it and store it. If the website is in CVS, then there's no
need to copy it all down from boost.org, because it's in the cvs
repository tarball.

>>If the wiki needs to be backed up, then I'll need some help doing that.
>

> I think I've got it covered with multiple layers of backup. I'm
> just going to increase the automation on my second backup so our
> exposure is only 24 hours instead of 30 days.

No offense intended: what happens if you get hit by a truck, or just
decide you don't like boost anymore? We lose our wiki. It'd be good if
someone else could make redundant backups of it.

--Dan Nuffer