From: Paul A. Bristow (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-01 13:53:32

I've followed this long discussion, but I am left feeling like the Irishman
replying to a request for directions "Well, I wouldn't start from here!".

Languages designed using rational thought from good basic premises, like Ada,
have explicit in, out and inout parameters. Sadly C++ has growed like Topsy from
some dodgy articles of faith.

C++ only has confusing consts, but conventionally we don't even apply it to
procedure parameters (double log(const double); is clear but causes trouble and
sometimes appears to impede optimisation).

So I too am unconvinced that the sticking plaster proposed is useful even as
first aid.

Paul

Paul A Bristow, Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal, Cumbria, LA8 8AB UK
+44 1539 561830 Mobile +44 7714 33 02 04
Mobile mailto:pabristow_at_[hidden]
mailto:pbristow_at_[hidden]