From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-25 11:30:27

Thanks to Dave Abrahams, Diane Cabell, Devin Smith, and Eva Chen, we now
have a pretty close to final draft of a new Boost Software License.

For as many Boost libraries as possible, the plan is to replace the
individual licenses with the "official" Boost license. Of course, the
developers who hold the copyrights for each library must agree. We'll also
submit the Boost license to the OSI (http://www.opensource.org/) for
certification.

This draft represents a lot of discussion between the lawyers and Boost
moderators, and both groups are quite happy with the results. So now it's
time to open it up for comments from the whole Boost community.

For more background, including rationale, a FAQ, and acknowledgements, see
http://boost.sourceforge.net/misc/license-background.html

The draft license itself is at
http://boost.sourceforge.net/misc/LICENSE.txt

While we are interested in comments from any Booster, we would particularly
like to hear from:

* Boosters for whom English isn't their primary language; is the license
understandable?

* Boosters (or their lawyers) from countries other than the US; do they
spot any issues missed by Boost's US-centric legal team?

* Boost developers; if there are aspects of the license that make you
hesitate about adopting it, what are the issues?

--Beman