From: Markus Mauhart (markus.mauhart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-07-16 03:57:50

"Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote ...

> Thanks to Dave Abrahams, Diane Cabell, Devin Smith, and Eva Chen, we now
> have a pretty close to final draft of a new Boost Software License.
>
> For as many Boost libraries as possible, the plan is to replace the
> individual licenses with the "official" Boost license. Of course, the
> developers who hold the copyrights for each library must agree. We'll also
> submit the Boost license to the OSI (http://www.opensource.org/) for
> certification.
>
> This draft represents a lot of discussion between the lawyers and Boost
> moderators, and both groups are quite happy with the results. So now it's
> time to open it up for comments from the whole Boost community.
>
> For more background, including rationale, a FAQ, and acknowledgements, see
> http://boost.sourceforge.net/misc/license-background.html
>
> The draft license itself is at
> http://boost.sourceforge.net/misc/LICENSE.txt

maybe a dumb question, but I just simulated an interested new
boost user but didnt find anything about 'the' current license
on www.boost.org, only the faq and lib-guidelines telling some
requirements for interested boost contributers. For more info,
downloading the complete package seems to be necessary.

IMO it would be usefull, not only for me, to add a page with a prominent
location to www.boost.org, telling whatever is generally known to apply
to the complete current boost version (e.g. containing a copy of the
upper license.txt), and then pointing out that each file may have
additional terms, being part of that file, maybe copy&paste an example
of existing per-file-license.

Regards,
Markus.