From: Arkadiy Vertleyb (vertleyb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-07-02 11:12:38

I am just re-posting this response, since my first attempt to Cc it didn't
work:

The "Relational Template Library" is not a part of Boost (although we would
eventially like it to be). We introduced it about a year ago, and got
little response at that time. The library then included a relational table
(capable of storing any objects in its fields in a typesafe manner), and
basic relational operators. We were critisized then for the lack of
indexing.

We added indexing capability about half a year ago. We had some positive
response from Boost, but eventially the discussion, again, died away.
Although a few people seemed to be interested, no one apparently has really
used the library or tried it out.

We also wrote an article for CUJ, and got positive response from them, too.
If I understand them correctly, they did accept the article for publication,
but put it on hold for now...

Right at this moment we are in the middle of the third round of development.
  We are going to introduce basic transactions. Along with this also comes
automatic index rebuild. That means you can have an arbitrary complicated
expression, and an index on top of it (we allow to index any expession, not
only tables), then change any tables this expression is based upon, and have
the index automatically (and incrementally) updated, so you can call begin()
on it, and start using it right away (of course iterators, as always, get
invalidated).

We also met some compiler limitations related to the template tree size, and
found an interesting way to deal with it.

We are planning to come up with a new version (that would include the above
capabilities) within the next month or two.

The reason we are interested in the multiindex_set is that we want to
provide a more efficient implementation for our table, that is currently
implemented with std::vector, although Ed Brey already suggested an
alternative with std::set(that we need to examine).

Regards,

Arkadiy