From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-01 21:52:06

"E. Gladyshev" <egladysh_at_[hidden]> writes:

> I think that any industry standard TEMPLATE library
> should be designed in terms of modern C++. The
> compilation time should NOT be considred as an issue.

Is MPL a modern TEMPLATE library, in your opinion?
I ask because compilation time is a very serious issue in the design
of MPL.

> Compilers are getting better, computers faster...
> boost should be setting programming standards not
> laging behind trying to accomodate some specific h/w
> requirements.

IMO it's nutty to think that people won't use every bit of
compilation bandwidth they can stand, once they start to do
computation at compile time. Why should it be any different from
cycles at runtime?

In many ways, the more modern a C++ library is, the more of a concern
compilation times have to be.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting